[CBQ] Re: Billings meet

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Billings meet
From: "rgs20460" <amtrak347@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 05:48:38 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1374558534; bh=wIpjtHR+0QIKOnhNfI5Br2uEMFWsroC4FsEDHDlSBJE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=L2z9jJKakEPHBzfJICKox1jGW3DSWJTg5csDJSDSc9MZf78uUiyGNa4qfGyEb2ujx0mpPI20DgwZJWCLOjPU3+mDSufd9WH3P3Few4sbvaPumalyqvEgn8J+qAg0zJ2BcSK6cCNsRHqKIynq/x1JREWsV2dpIvbc+oMSOlyyJSU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Edgar" <gvlc6@...> wrote:

> Wow!  Our dreams came through of a Lines West meet AND a joint one with one
> of our natural partners; NP or GN.  The NP folks were tremendous, very
> friendly & constantly appreciative of the CB&Q fans who attended.
> It was a 'win-win' as we exchanged info, shared clinics, railfanned, etc,  A
> big thank you to Gene Tacey for making this possible AND Kyle Brehm (NPHS
> Meet Host), NPHS officers & mbrs and the Crowne Plaza hotel.  The Billings
> newspaper gave great P.R. to the meet and NPHS was smart to encourage the
> public to attend the Swap meet (free!) which meant more buyers AND more NP/Q
> items being offered by folks whose family had worked for either road.
> A special thanks to Dick Chappel, BRHS mbr in nearbvy Hardin who gave us a
> special tour of TWO Q depots and his TWO layouts (local historical society
> moved the 2 story Lodge Grass depot to their historic village, also a 50'
> wood truss road coach - the latter not yet restored but the depot was
> pristine including original furnishings from the Agent and his family who had
> loved upstairs)  The brick Hardin depot was also restored & a great place to
> visit trackside.  Then Dick gave us a tour of his basement G scale layout
> (had no idea so many G models are available in Q paint) AND his 7" outdoors
> layout (battery powered by 2 GN boxcabs but a nice Q flat car in the consist)
>
> Why we had not worked to have a meet with NP or GN yrs ago is ancient history
> but this week sure showed how great it can be.  Again hats off to NPHS mbrs,
> the panel of Veteran employees (inc. 2 who had worked for Q), etc.  The
> mountains, all the remaining Q equipment in tne area (steam locos, waycars,
> freight cars, depots, truss bridges, etc) made this a once in a lifetime
> event.  I say lifetime as I was a grad student @ U. of Iowa when we started
> this in 1976 and a look around the clinic rooms showed nary a Q or NP head
> that was not grey or silver (or bald). Fallen flag RR groups are threatened
> by Father Time so take the time now to get out to meets (also those veteran
> employees obviously were old given BN took over CB&Q 43 yrs ago.  One had
> been a 16 yr old call boy but he was the exception to the rest who were
> retired in some cases for 20 years.
>
> And for you collectors/modelers there were really good deals as the NP folks
> sold off their Q RRiana and models and vice-a-versa.  A lot of "win-win"
> deals!  We also found a lot of Q info in some the NPHS publications as did
> the NP fans at our Company Store.  Good to see old friends who have done so
> much for Q fans and who were able to make it to a BRHS meet since it was
> Lines West: Bill Glick, Ken Martin et al.  Thanks one and all!   Gerald
>
> (Now look in a mirror and explain to yourself again why you a) are NOT a BRHS
> mbr or b) why you missed Billings!)     :-)

Gerald -

Just wanted to point out the NP group is not the NPHS, but the NPRHA, Northern
Pacific Railway Historical Association.

The person I had planned to go to Billings with cancelled out a couple of
months ago, and therefore, made the trip from OK cost prohibitive.  I had
planned to bring some "O" scale models to the meet such as class S-4 steam
engines from both the "Q" and NP, plus a few others.

Bob Campbell

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com