Re: [CBQ] Meat Traffic on the C&I

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Meat Traffic on the C&I
From: rksmes@q.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 23:05:43 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1374116745; bh=EgeL0KB0di5A9b8HE1pl8rMo5CHP9J1ie2S1y5w5kdU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X_CMAE_Category:X-CNFS-Analysis:X-CM-Score:X-Scanned-by:Authentication-Results:Authentication-Results:X-Received-SPF:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=1MAcdfSQE6yMTgS+pfOGb9qm2KldUsxYqPEJAGZxcJcI0woBVZy8RohuUo0VPou/gvask5bQBwOyoq7NOOOtv8bNVKoxRqVmR2qGDwxpoJb9sEbNm9lJAfMJWVL51SqmNNpTuMM1i0MoEHVgbqUrIUDhI2UPg8O17v2MS6nzTf4=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
X_cmae_category: 0,0 Undefined,Undefined

Bob-  I worked at the Armour plant in South St. Paul in 1951- 52 and saw lots of loading of meat refers.  One factor may be that both the Armour and the adjacent Swift packing plant were served by the Chicago Great Western and the CRI&P.  The CBQ tracks were on the east side of the Mississippi and South St. Paul is on the west side of the river.  The plant had a very large "dry sausage" operation and much of that was sent east for consumption or export.  I do not remember which railroad did the switching of the plants and the large adjacent stock yards.

The CGW had direct tracks to Chicago in those years.  I am not sure where the CRI&P tracks went.

Bob Sorensen