Re: [CBQ] Conway, Iowa

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Conway, Iowa
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 14:19:45 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1362424787; bh=QFjRqDTDJliJ2lmk6pmcEuRpkoY1CX0Ybq5HMaMufyk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=0MgWBA0MeXXzco4zG7kif+3lmgE6d4AvubYFdzfOSeXe2YPExrAAez04N+7LoIrk0HP7gzJla2k9AnULGt2U5tj5m0jR1mK+GGq8nZTNDwq1CP5WM6M8N6mkZ9gax/NtJw6NDubT5CaQnfccU5TN/GERtiYccZw8osUaE3DK2JQ=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

A bit of further info re the "Creston Branch"...This line hosted one of the last Motor Car passenger runs  ie  Trains 30 and 31.  These trains came off in 1960.  The line was severed several years later between Maryville..or maybe it was Barnard and Savannah..The Savannah "stub" continued until the early 80's or thereabouts.

South of Conway was Merle Junction (formerly known as Conway Crossing) where the old Humeston and Shenandoah crossed.  A stub was left from Merle Jct to Clearfield and was served by the tri-weekly mixed, which, I think, lasted until final abandonment  of the line from Crston to Maryville in the early 80's.

My railfan Buddy Jim Christen and I rode No. 30 from Creston to St. Joe twice in the early 50's.  Also during the floods of 1952 which put the St. Joe--P Jct line out for several days my dad, as the agent for Railway Express Agency at Rock Port arranged for express shipments for Rock Port to be put on Train 31 to Maryville.  We made several evening trips summer 1952 from Rock Port to Maryville hauling the RP express off No. 31 to Rock Port.  We usually got to Maryville in time to see Train 31 arrive at the Maryville depot and unload the "headend traffic" and a few passengers.

Pete