Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 5429[2 Attachments]

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 5429[2 Attachments]
From: LZadnichek@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:47:24 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1360615651; bh=SsBKgdQG9PVp9vjj2CrMyITwKoVgrO2tBNAiJNqaOcQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Full-name:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Ixaa1DaXkA6QuPXVC6ILzCoi+yYlCq557Pa8spUi70AI/LYmKCLHICGqGMWO2DLCauvp0B/oVbK6Q75W1xCVMaYIRnW+nHzQWV4T12K0lYDQ/UyrdPZYhTSLo5IO4vybSxnJJ6vyfatUzYvKLFrbk3s/FrNZNBz2ZyToF9K0ru0=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Scott and Dan - To compare the EBay whistle with the one I have off an O5, I've checked the casting marks. On my whistle, the casting mark on top the iron top reads EC 11583 (or maybe 8) L. The casting mark on the underside of the brass bowl reads E 11534 B. In my opinion, going strictly from the EBay description and images, the EBay whistle is an authenic Q iron top five chime steam whistle. However, the lever on my whistle has no locomotive number stamped into it as the EBay whistle has. I personally have never seen a locomotive number stamped into a lever attached to a Q steam whistle. My lever appears to have about the same radius in the curve as the longer-levered whistle shown on EBay has, but mine may've been shortened at some earlier date, or is original. No way to tell. A slightly longer lever may've let the engineer have slightly better control of the whistle valve, but I do not think it would make all that much difference. To my best knowledge, these iron top whistles were freely interchanged between locomotives of many classes during heavy shop repairs. Plus, you can find images of a variety of different class Q steam engines all equipped with iron top whistles. I guess it's always possible the whistle lever was stamped with the locomotive's number at the time it was removed, or by the whistle's original owner. It "looks" to be an old stamp mark. Obviously, to a serious collector, a whistle that can be traced to a specific locomotive is going to be worth more than one that can not. Now, if the seller has the original Q bill of sale from the storekeeper identifying the whistle as having been removed from such-and-such an engine, then so much the better. I have such a bill of sale for mine, but unfortunately the engine number was not recorded, so although my dad personally talked to the storekeeper to insure the whistle came off an O5, the roundhouse laborers who removed the whistle did not mark the engine number on it in yellow chalk or otherwise tag. So, all I can truthfully say is that my whistle came off the Galesburg dead line. As for value, in my opinion, if the stamped 5602 number is correct, then the $2,700 starting bid quoted is TOPS. If the whistle was otherwise unnumbered, then about $2,000 would be more in line. However, keep in mind that the whistle appears to have complete fins, has been refurbished and is reported as "blowable." This all makes a difference. Thus, when it comes to collectible whistles, such as the EBay whistle is, it's worth what some one is willing to pay for it. All in all, a very NICE whistle that some collector will cherish - Louis