[CBQ] Re: Modern Locomotive Roster and Numbering system - Overview and P

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Modern Locomotive Roster and Numbering system - Overview and Passenger
From: "thommack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 15:42:51 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1359819777; bh=qFZXCCuEkK7Os7ygQXTv2TCNScpQi2ARnV8JHfJhtVQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=l23eC5JfFq7bLYcgpDxUTtfjwmXSsTV9Ln+xOaXpH1vOfqF3J/C+QoMxR6ua8fVsS+gH4I14sCrSf/ztv2Sj7aNySk3CHUh/m1/Q1+p1dyOC3Auk9UsKKBccIRU4SZCEv8lFqc+I+YC60t4OMlyYh2IL1mT6f2xuTTLH7s4Z6EU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Railroads many times kept their numbering system consistent over time, and if
you look at the final Q roster you can get a good feel where "new" locomotives
would end up on a modern Q roster.

First, let's look at the overall scheme, then we will break it down as to where
modern power could/should fall:

For freight motors, the Q used a 3-digit numbering system. So your modern
freight motors would use 3 digits numbers.

Switchers were 4-digit numbers, in the 9100 to 9400 series.

Finally, all passenger units were in the 9900 series.

Remember that as older equipment is retired, those number slots open up. A
common prototype practice is to renumber older locomotives to a single "new"
block of numbers so as to free up entire blocks of numbers. Our "new" Q roster
will look at the potential of doing this.

To make it simple, let's start with passenger units. The Q passenger units
could be broken into these groups:

E5 - 9909-9915B (A, B, and no suffixes)
E7 - 9916A-9937A (A and B suffixes)
E8 - 9937B-9949A (A and B suffixes)
E7 - 9949B
Open - 9950-9963
E8 - 9964-9977 (No suffixes)
E9 - 9985A-9989B (A and B suffixes)
E9 - 9990-9995 (No Suffixes)

By the BNSF merger the E5's were gone and 9950-9963 were still open. Assuming
that the Q had dropped the letter suffixes, which they had on the last E9's
9990-9905, and that the E7's were all being retired as new passenger equipment
came in, that would have opened up 9900-9937, as well as 9950-9963 for new
passenger equipment. So you have open numbers for 52 new passenger locomotives
right there. Since the FP45's pre-date the Dash 8-40BWH's, I would have put the
first order in 9900-9915 series. (BTW, how many FP45's did your new Q buy?) I
would have then put subsequent orders in the 9916-9963 range as the E7's and
E8's were retired (you said you only had E9's). If I were the Q CMO, 14 of the
best running E8's of the 9937B-9949A series would have been renumbered to
4-digit no-suffix numbers in the 9950-9963 slot, just below the 9964-9977 E8's,
to free up the entire 9900-9949 number slots for the new FP45's and Dash
8-40BWH's. The worst of the E8's would be retired with the new power coming in.

So there you have your passenger roster.

To keep the post from getting too long I will do switchers and freight motors
separate.

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com