Re: [CBQ] RR Smells-was story posts

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] RR Smells-was story posts
From: Noel Crawford <georgecrawfordsr@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:40:58 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1359495672; bh=lk67Y7rovNUcBskORGcUuhsNTKOUUN+SR2kycZtAUEY=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:User-Agent:To:References:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=XjAyGosTpafQ+Yt5y4DCNEPIMwMKTZchUq4buM2Eh6OunMciPGPwuuVGTXe3Go5VB7PQFCNxFgerPIkbrHMPfCA8mVjPZAf+7LW0otZIsIepBBa5R/akJfqWJpG/eYXC5nv1LopqzvgQfS1SUak3CgMj8r7EMJb0uAVhuB0oefg=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I have watched my dad give the rear end crew the hotbox sign several times when he spotted one near the front or mid train and the crew didn't know about it. Wave your left arm up and down while holding your nose with your right. thumb and first finger. I don't know how the rear end crew communicated with the engine crew before radios. Get up on the cars and try to signal the engine crew to stop? Any one know.  Yes, hotboxes had a very dis stink odor. We use to collect the melted Babbitt of the ballast and remelt it in a old tin coffee can over a fire. I still have some I use in casting detail parts for my 7/8ths stuff.
Noel