RE: [CBQ] Cody wyo

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Cody wyo
From: "John Hagen" <sprinthag@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:24:53 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1344871496; bh=U1o11BCWg1CA5yKrWpa2mOshe6e2qdwcxB3gJuTO2U4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-Received:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Nx9Q2cZyuVX4pk0DQePDVnHOYQ2Z3b4jS21m8aAqEE6fD7joaV3DW3dyAX0JnOZANBWbHMUIdHJuHAJg+ff0WzxKm0Tfhths/uPl+4VS3bCCW7F81e/bPTz5vdKl4tiS
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Harold,

Yes, I have to agree with your response. I am thankful for any information that I can access on the web. That a particular organization would want payment for the ability to down load or otherwise purchase hard copies of such data, including photos, is no problem what so ever. At least I can research and determine if the data is what I looking for. It’s a hell of a lot easier, let alone cheaper, to explore a collection on line as opposed to driving (flying, bussing, riding the train, hitchhiking, etc.) hundreds or thousands of miles. Or even writing letters and then hoping that anything I order, which I would still have to pay for, is really what I’m looking for.

I do not know where the idea that just because something is searchable on the web it should be free just because it is from a library or other such organization. If one were to search for, say, a camera to find the one he/she wants, he/she would have no problem ordering and paying for the product. What, do they think that libraries  don’t cost money to operate? If I were to buy the first seventy-five years of Model Railroading Magazine from Kalmbach Publishing I would pay $200.00. It is printed material and photos, just like what a library can provide. So it’s okay to spend money at a for-profit organization but not to a non-profit organization?

John Hagen