RE: [CBQ] C&S NW2

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] C&S NW2
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 22:29:30 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1340767834; bh=7NlD5yyOfuUeA363nsPBIAPHRzI72KZ+UmlRijnyNgo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Nf+VnJOlB/LoTLjwnTpRrjXywaYCTsh+cpDYXqfxfBxDB4hNAMtRDwAAt2PwBsDBwU7tBlo+2elrQL9RqNzdjKi8q7v6293rcdgaxHfor0GDDD0jDThK2dZfc6Fgpbqr
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

John-

You had me going for a minute……I had to go and check my files to make sure that I had not made a mistake on the BLI artwork….until I realized you must have purchased an undecorated NW2

and not one of the factory painted models (correctly) decorated for C&S / AT&SF.   The BLI model is a Phase I SW7 which closely matches the 154.   The D&RGW unit can be modeled using Kato’s excellent unit which you can still find from time to time in out-of-the-way hobby shops or trains shows…and IIRC they did the as-delivered D&RGW scheme on the unit and it may have even been for #100.

Charlie Vlk

Railroad Model Resources

I just received the new Broadway Limited EMD NW2 model, which I had planned to use to model D&RGW #100.   However, it has tall exhaust stacks and vented hood doors, which the D&RGW NW2, made in Jan 1941, did not.   I looked in Fulcomer's Colorado & Southern Southern Division Color Pictorial and found that this model appears to be very accurate for the C&S/AT&SF joint line switchers #150-153.   These units were painted in the blackbird scheme when received in 1947, except that they did not have "Everywhere West" and "Way of the Zephyrs" on the hood sides.  They also did not have the Burlington emblem on the cab sides but were lettered with C&S and AT&SF.   They also came with the red and yellow horizontal striping on the side sills.   Microscale's 87-609 decal includes all of the needed striping and lettering, including the white C&S and AT&SF initials.   I can now paint my own joint line switcher.

- John Manion

  Denver, CO