[CBQ] Re: Pool Power with GN and NP on the Q

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Pool Power with GN and NP on the Q
From: Karl Rethwisch <qrailroadman@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 18:14:50 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1335921352; bh=1Px6Dhmw/OZicWqSSHZq1Q/C2Vf0nzkm+YnIvkdwJuw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=DqEO2vJCatZGnItQ1gmU4HfZxuz8TtZRZUaA8qn0RyiZ7+pIJTT3yq5ywVGiv8aZ0xot6cnvqmpwRQHhvjRs+z5o8MgYaee7NEp9ijG4mYJsK/Kx85LDlP+wr6G5l4CV
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Re: Pool Power with GN and NP on the Q.
I’m unaware of a power "pool" with NP. The GN scrap that handled #88 into Clyde
and #97 out of Clyde was running off "equalization" miles to offset the mileage accrued by the Q E units that turned at Havre, MT. I’m not sure if "Horsepower Hours" had been invented yet.
As I stated in an earlier post, the units selected for this "equalization" service were in the most deplorable condition one can imagine. To digress, it must be remembered that for a good portion of the time period in question I was workin’ the Fireman’s Extra List out of Aurora and, while so doing, I was not in a regular Pool Turn. The trips in the C&I freight pool that I did work on 97 and 88, however, were usually all alike in that the power was as bad as any I’d ever worked on.
I recall one set of GN units that cycled back and forth on 88 and 97 in particular. This set, and there may have been others, had a semi-permanently coupled FT A and B included in it. The prime mover in the B unit had, at sometime in the past, suffered a crankcase explosion. The pieces and parts of the engine were piled up behind the main gen. in the area sometimes occupied by a steam generator. The general condition of the engine, and the engine room, led one to believe that the explosion had occurred quite sometime ago. I worked this consist on several trips and the dead B unit remained as it was, DEAD !!
Karl