[CBQ] Re: Old 8mm CB&Q films discovered!

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Old 8mm CB&Q films discovered!
From: "Gerald Edgar" <gvlc6@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 15:44:09 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1335627875; bh=nlb8Ayf3t2wvTFzqeWpWkS1hi68dQduaizlKaiExifI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=khUpavPaa4PRNizXkcMpQtBM0vfb/423kt2dT94pfNlErwFYv1D4gJCQcAkOwPqfZYCFNr4bo3rjqL0PzOMeUC5Dkmz8ObC4TSDaA+7RoYmtsRkP97Yw8Y+oICI3m6DM
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
  Ahhhh - being a 'techie' is the problem!    The use of ' and " for hours &
minutes goes WAY back!  A single apostrophe (') for hours and a double
apostrophe or quote symbol (") for minutes has been common in many usages
including military, railroad, nautical and just general correspondence.  It's
shorter than writing out 'minutes' (which might mean a summary of a group's
meeting) or hours.  Of course the symbols also get used for feet (12" or
something a Podiatrist looks at) & inches but then the word 'right' means yes
as well meaning directional.  So to clarify - the DVD is 41 minutes of old 8mm
(milimeter) home movies. As I recall 'in the day' handheld movie cameras were 8
and later 16mm. Early ones were hand-cranked, then battery powered.  I still
have some old reel-to-reel tapes not to mention cassettes, floppy, video and
DVD formated recordings as well as 45's & 78's made by me or others of CB&Q RR
(railroad) action. Today a lot of that will fit on one Flash Drive. 'Copied',
10-4, roger wilco et al as I highball off this message!    Gerald    PS - and I
vaguely remember from shop class why nails are measured in 'pennys' (not the
coin or Dept store chain)  Worst of all, not all old things marked CB&Q are our
beloved Burlington Route; at least two other corporations had the same
initials!  Look for discussion of same in a future "Zephyr" publication
Collectibles Column.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com