[CBQ] Hans Thielsen Rides Again

To: nptelltale@yahoogroups.com, cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Hans Thielsen Rides Again
From: "Phillips, III, J.A." <whstlpnk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 01:59:09 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1335603555; bh=Vhm4fFmyG03bu2++sTRAzqfWmIQXON/bn6fOgPR8qSo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=fdNtGI9D7uyoISP9GLfZKmOok1c05pFgMowhNYs58QXz3vSUCOX+3VX2/wWQsbeZ64mKXiTpkJuEH4XAPPYe3Ww/NS54wQyUFJY5/RC1V+irRPKrP2keIcD6w/uWBn54
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
All-

Hans Thielsen shows up in Overton's history of the _Burlington Route_ as an
assistant engineer in the Midwest. By the 1870s he shows up again on the Oregon
Railway and Navigation Co., then goes on to run up the NP's bill under Henry
Villard in the Spokane-Sand Point area in the 1880s. His name may be better
known to Oregonians in the form of Mount Thielsen. Some notes on his early
career from the University of Nebraska (Lincoln)'s Railroads and the Making of
Modern America Web site:

http://railroads.unl.edu/documents/view_document.php?id=rail.reed.0186&per_page=20&page=9
Letter from John R. Boyle to Samuel B. Reed, March 8, 1861
In this letter from March 8, 1861, John R. Boyle writes to Samuel Reed
discussing the prospects for employment on a railroad in the near future. He
states that he would prefer working for Mr. Thielsen to working on the
Mississippi and Missouri Railroad as he does not believe that railroad will be
capable of "doing anything as long as those troubles between the north and
south exist." Boyle also notes that he rejected an invitation to work on the
Cedar Rapids Railroad, believing it would be better to "stay on our farms than
work on a R Road that has no money." He declares that if the troubles between
the North and South were settled, there would be more work available.

Washington Iowa
March 8th 1861

Saml B. Reed Esq.
Joliet Ill
Dear Sir

Your very welcome letter of the 5th of March has been received yesterday, and
both Mrs. Boyle and myself are proud to know you. Mrs. Reed and Annie are all
well.

Mr. Thielson [sic] writes you a verry [sic] nice letter and I would prefer
getting work from him to getting it on the M & M Road. There is no prospect of
the M & M doing anything as long as those troubles between the north and south
exist. And I am a little inclined to think they will exist for a while.

I sent two foremen to my brother in Ala. Stilly of Iowa City and Smith who used
to work for Groendycke.

Stilly will keep me informed about roads and work down there. I had a letter of
invitation to go on the construction of the Cedar Rappids [sic] Road, but I
declined accepting the invitation. Because they no money we had better stay on
our farms than work on a R Road that has no money. The Co has not fired Mr.
[?]. Or won't until the middle of June that's when their paper becomes due. I
am going to do what I can on the farm this season in pigs and sheep mostly. Mr.
Reed I will have to intrude on your generosity again. I want you to send me
about 2 bushl [sic] of those cactus not too large. I will try and make it right
with you by & by. I am sorry your potatoes are not worth more money they are
worth 20¢ with us.

There is nothing doing in this place prices are so low the farmers are holding
on and will not sell pigs and sheep are the only things that bring a good
price. I don't think I will do anything about buying real estate until I can
dispose of some of what I have now on hand. Money is now the thing I have not
been able to collect a dollar this spring. When I expected to get considerable.
I am of opinion if those troubles were settled there would a large amt of work
start up and be done. That would be good work enlarging the [land] and
improving the river. I am of the opinion the southern states will keep out
unless those compromises are effected.

Mrs. Boyle says she thinks it is yours and Mrs. Reed's turn now to see us. I do
not hear of a road any plan being in operation of contruction unless what is
doing in the south. My bro has three roads in operation.

I am looking out for a road that has some money to do the work with.

Mrs. Boyle & Peter wishes to be remembered to you all most affectionately.

Yours with much respect
John R. Boyle

Back To Docum
Source: Letter from John R. Boyle to Samuel B. Reed
Extent: 3 pages
Citation: Yale University Library, Manuscripts and Archives, Samuel Reed Family
Papers, Box 2, Folder 27