[CBQ] Re: Q Fan Trip List So Far

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Q Fan Trip List So Far
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:24:37 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1331479482; bh=DweU+of8qux2CfIIp4kmKroLH/NaYfufsFs05TT9e3k=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=NtucVYW413MHPI3RW9wlL69CeSG/KmajohOo3Mdk5mSuIMU+l5MJUCDKv5K0RU8Wes6oCCDTwBcmYll3CLwwenREw0eAwNK7zB3J+B+NEckxxXFICyCo2JrbOUMiSz7q
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Bill,

Actually, there may have been at least four trips to Colorado, operated by the Illini RR Club. I rode the first two in 1959 and 1960 (still can't believe that my folks let me go alone at a mere 16 years old, although I did travel with a friend of the same age on the first trip). No. 5632 pulled the first trip from Chicago (with a night departure from Union Station at 9 PM) to Lincoln, NE where no. 5626 took over to Denver (it failed on the way back). My friend and I rode the cab of #5626 along with 6 other rail fans and four RR people over the last division into Denver. What a thrill for a 16 year old! Twelve people in the cab pretty well filled it even though those O-5 all weather cabs were quite large. One of the rail fans was a girl. The crew gave her the seat behind the fireman.

I think the recording on the Mobile Fidelity "Sunday Only" album leaving Burlington was made on the first trip as I met Brad Miller from MF who rode the trip and recorded much of it. That recording is one of my favorites except I believe that Maury Klebolt, president of the Illini RR Club, had asked the Q to temporarily replace the whistle on #5632 for the trip with one from another RR, maybe IC. The whistle in the recording is too shrill for the normal Q 5 chamber. Never the less, #5632 put on a bone chilling show leaving town and charging up the grade. It was a big train (17 0r 18 cars) and the big O-5 made short work of it. I created a ringtone for my cell phone from that recording which I use for a friend who worked for the Q, BN and Amtrak over the Q. A little embarrassing when it goes off in McDonald's My son works for U.P. and his ringtone is from a recording of Challenger #3985.

In 1960, #5632 pulled the train from Chicago (morning departure) to Lincoln where two E8s took over to Denver, mostly at night. I seem to recall that the Colorado trip was operated at least two more times in 1961 and 1962, but I don't have confirmation or the specific dates. The operation was the same as the 1960 for the later trips.

In 1959, while #5626 was laying over in Denver, it pulled at least two excursions there. One, I think went to Colorado Springs and the other to Cheyenne. I know I have seen photos of at least one of those trips showing the 5626 with a really short train, maybe three or four cars. Again, I don't have specific information on dates and destinations to include them in the list.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO