Re: [CBQ] Train #31/32, The Zephyr Connection, Questions -1960s

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Train #31/32, The Zephyr Connection, Questions -1960s
From: richtownsend@netscape.net
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:43:01 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1328730198; bh=BuMO/n2BNXAl/HzCLgjalE7Lmc55Bu9MptLDLaKL8YQ=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=lQ3ONsMPJO1gBm9u4LmATAEltQLyA2QxXBeE/poEdWp2XI7SydJTyujuMwjHm4aDKstXEiF11uTO0tN60EXMe644PN3f+M5w0ZXy4WOUFUCNn+cAqkJtY7Dom9N7S0xw
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I looked a copies of public timetables to see what light they might shed on this question.  Based on what I have, which may not be complete, #31/32 first appear in the February 2, 1920 timetable published by the USRA.  There is no description of the equipment, but I may have overlooked it when I was copying the timetable.
In the July 15, 1922 timetable the equipment is called out as "coaches".  Naturally there is no description of head-end equipment in this timetable or any of the others. The description stayed that way until the May 5, 1929 timetable when it says "coaches" and "gas electric car between Cheyenne and Wendover".  In the Summer 1932 timetable it says "coaches between Denver and Cheyenne" but the train is described as a "Motor Car Train."  It first appears as the "Zephyr Connection" in the November 8, 1936 timetable, with the same description as before.  In the June 20, 1937 the equipment begins to be described as "observation, coach, buffet."  It no longer is called out as a motor car train.  In the June 25, 1941 timetable the description becomes "air conditioned coaches" (plural).  In the July 5, 1942 timetable the description changes to "air conditioned coach" (singular).  In the May 28, 1950 timetable the train is listed as the Pioneer Zephyr with deluxe chair cars and smoking lounge.  The April 29, 1951 timetable is the first to not list #31/32 on the C&S at all since 1920 (it still was listed on the CB&Q between Wendover and Alliance).

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon