[CBQ] Re: Train #31/32, The Zephyr Connection, Questions -1960s

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Train #31/32, The Zephyr Connection, Questions -1960s
From: "Jonathan Harris" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:32:17 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1328625141; bh=TTVlJgvVxNiyBvEpu6OfvN7Y0CjX+n/DotUb0i2d7Dk=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=jzSf3lyLhutmmgWGHXXpG+k3mneK0pUal13uC8kSvS3de3Y2F4nfJvi19tHGBCpl0RXj1qzmsT+6uUTt9dntldmL0S5X00NsWl2KiMnzVKp4z5GJfah/Ai1dVPg1OgJ8
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Regarding the Zephyr Connection, I know that for a brief period, around
1949-50, the original Pioneer Zephyr was used (4-car version, with Mars light).
Afterwards, I'm not sure what passenger equipment was on that run, nor indeed
how long the Zephyr Connection continued or what might have gone on the head
end when the Pacifics were retired.

There's a nice photo of Train 29 near Thermopolis on p. 79 of Al Holck's
Burlington Route Color Pictorial V.1; taken in 1967, it shows an E8 leading a
3-car standard heavyweight train (baggage, baggage-mail, coach). I don't
believe that train (ever?) had anything like an a diner or observation; they
had meal stops.

Btw, that color pictorial book also has a small shot of the PZ south of
Cheyenne in 1949 (p. 65).

Welcome to the discussion group!
Jonathan

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com