RE: [CBQ] C&S branch lines in southeast Colorado and northern New Mexico

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] C&S branch lines in southeast Colorado and northern New Mexico
From: HOL WAGNER <holpennywagner@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 07:42:52 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1326897777; bh=O3Qk9korD0AdIEs893eJveRL0kWzItCAEIFM94w79do=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=kZEnM8m3EAk5MDqJ8UM/NFvA4sOinlOHN4aEeuj/GTSX2OYRiuJ0ZsroCVR24q3HLDPhrUlMqdJOzdXvjO+Vq/LUI95PvsqKoJh1fCaLWSxfVOUaU6vJYPewwIUI6gs6
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Jonathan:

There are many photos in the Denver Public Library Western History collection showing the mines served by these C&S branches.  Several of the photos depict the car loading process, and one or two show C&S locomotives.  The Catskill Branch down into northeastern New Mexico was abandoned quite early (cut back to a few miles out of Trinidad by 1902), so photos of it are all but non-existent.  It was built to serve the timber resources, and the associated charcoal ovens, of the Maxwell Land Grant and did so quite successfully for about 10 years, until the timber reserves in that area were depleted.  There is a great deal on these various coal mine branches and spurs, as well as the Catskill Branch, in by manuscript on the first ten years of the C&S, but as I noted in an earlier post, that manuscript totals some 2 million words and thus is not likely to ever be published conventionally.  My best hope is to ultimately get it online or in DVD format.

Hol Wagner