[CBQ] Re: Fw: Re: Farmington, illinois

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Fw: Re: Farmington, illinois
From: Jack Ferris <fhs1955@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:26:21 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1326821206; bh=jo1w+2jX3dAH72wsZUR4wr+9/+00caYw1WXQy3SsPlc=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:User-Agent:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=tJcud8NInZLGoUauOPZUw4Kgq845Rqf3CvG4x/yJZ6fSHHH8qvv0hreH4nCyRcRYvngHxaJ7rWVu9y4ZOjFs8HQsFZZzCeAufMIsDxS9KOcf1HM76MjdO7g3w3DnLrBm
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The photo provided by Doug is indeed the CB&Q depot in Farmington,
Iowa.  I spent a great deal of time hanging around there in my youth.
It is not, as suggested in one of the threads, a joint CB&Q-CRI&P
agency.  The RI did have repeaters for their wires in the agent's
office, but as far as I know no RI train orders were copied or handed up
to RI crews.  Bills of lading for cars interchanged with the Rock were
placed in an iron box on the east side of the building.  Both the Q and
the RI lines run north and south at that point and cross just south of
the depot.  The crossing was governed by a Stop and Proceed rule.  The
view in the photo is looking south.  The RI track is just out of sight
to the left (east) of that alley.  The Q is to the right (west) and
their train order board is just visible above the roof.  The interchange
track was on the west of both lines and had a spring switch on the RI
end.  After the Q branch was abandoned the depot was deeded to the city
and for a short time served as their history museum.  That program
failed and the building was sold to a private party who covered it with
wood siding.
The silver building in the distance is Jenkins Machine Shop owned by my
mother's uncle Gene Jenkins and his son, Paul.  It is an interesting
structure in itself with post and beam framing covered with brick
embossed iron siding painted an aluminum color.   Machines (lathes etc.)
were powered by an overhead shaft and pulley system driven by a one
cylinder Corliss gasoline engine (possibly converted from steam).  The
RI siding ran along the east side.  I have measured and sketched both it
and the depot in great detail hoping one day to construct models in O
Scale.  I also have numerous photos of both buildings.

Jack Ferris

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com