[CBQ] Q Physical Plant

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Q Physical Plant
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 18:51:42 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1326066708; bh=sICr3IkNDJWOXGjvFxr2YSYsa6Hb85KxP71ClKngIIo=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Uef6mev9d1DHRc1LDl7rPhfnZ5Gizr9ji+Z1FDxLBhMWgtPIrKEiaEhZ1Z5ZswckvlwonoTqlEx+Vvtb4r/mu3VBmObAfAV2l1DilrGTBJO5a9XPqRNjdfZrk/o8QQRG
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I started on the Aurora Div of the BN on 1/20/73. The C&I and mainline crews received a fist full of slow orders when they reported for work. Mud was pumping from joints all along the lines. Branch lines were,of course,even worse.Bob Harding and other high seniority operating employees could not express their disbelieve strongly enough.  I have an opinion as to why this situation existed but will keep them to myself.
This situation hadn't occured overnight.

Bottom line the Q physical plant had been maintained to run Zephyrs  at 90-100 MPH plus(the Z90 signs were still in place for curves) and 50 and 70 ton frt cars in short trains at 50-60 MPH with a wink and a nod beyond that. I dont recall the exact year of the first PBR unit coal train on the C&I but I'll say '75 for the sake of discussion. These trains and the ore trains,even limited to 40MPH, beat the living hell out of what was left of 90-110 LB rail on steel mill slag ballast. The slow orders got even more numerous and then it was clear mgmt changed course.

Over a number of years rail was upgraded,granite ballast laid,new ties by the hundreds of thousands inserted. We had a railroad we could run on and be proud of as long as we didnt want to go over 60MPH.

Put in the simplest sentance I can,in my opinion, the Q had been maintained for a high speed,short train operation and times had changed to running long slow freight trains with maximum tonnages.

The first day in 1979 I reported to the "White House" on Jackson Blvd in Chicago my boss told me straight out. The trains we run are rolling warehouses. It's not when you get it there. It's just get it there. The old days are gone.

Not looking to start a debate,just hoping to shed a little light .

Leo Phillipp