[CBQ] Princeton Depot Celebrates 100 years

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Princeton Depot Celebrates 100 years
From: "Robert" <bweb82898@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 02:14:25 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1323051267; bh=qvBWF/fSUJRa83d+w53Ecw7NQe1JLW/qJC27SEQALMs=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=JLlJrfucFXf+yO4/QQsii4FbDVClWDn+9gbZ8ho2XIl8Hii+vl65C3J/Vb1Eob4q3V0hZvEfN7l6QsIvA1lwvDwrWLg4UvRLRGgla5pnW6WIW3yIW2r8Ut8dNSUZ8gwh
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
While reviewing the LaSalle, IL News Tribune paper, I found this article from
Dec 1st.

Bob Weber
Crystal Lake, IL

By Lindsay Vaughn
ntprinceton@newstrib.com

PRINCETON ? The Princeton depot that residents enjoy today has been serving
local commuters and tourists for a century.
Princeton Tourism and the Bureau County Historical Society are teaming up for a
celebration Dec. 13 in the depot.

The open house will feature historical reenactments to introduce some of the
characters responsible for building the current station, including Darius
Miller, portrayed by Dick Dorsch, and Margaret Trimble, played by Stephanie Van
Ordstrand.

Trimble was president of the Princeton Woman's Club, which took on several
projects to improve "civic conditions in Princeton" in 1910.
"The depot was at the top of their list," said Bureau County Historical Society
director Pam Lange.
"They were out to beautify the city, so what they wanted was improved lighting
conditions around the depot and also beautification of the grounds."

Trimble signed a letter from the committee to Princeton native and CB&Q
Railroad president Darius Miller requesting these improvements.
"He got the letter and said, `I'll do better than that. I'll get you a new
building.' It was not expected. They were just hoping to have a few
improvements," Lange said.

The CB&Q Railroad commissioned the Craftsman-style depot from a Chicago
contractor. Miller, who had worked his way up through the ranks of various
railroad companies, continued to show interest and offer financial support in
his hometown even after moving to Chicago. His promise of a new depot was yet
another gesture of favor to the city.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com