Re: [CBQ] Question on Current General Rail Operations

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Question on Current General Rail Operations
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 14:50:16 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1321138218; bh=5cV/Sm+Fh1cyhW73rEnmcjnLjPr+68bdpgs2vIk9uKE=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Oxc4cEQ10rU7v/jVXgNLKDhId8NneSq/Wi4ekWlGDp68IrC5jwj2XARnvzatW0ytAul0u/mwieaLOva7H344+9eP4hWRkrQIuPlg/bmxfxlIX+MnEKudBEEaUgsMC2XT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Federal law provides that crossing signals activate twenty seconds before the
train reachs the crossing. There is no distance requirement, however in
Illinois the whisle must sounded within 1200 feet of the crossing. Many signal
systems are set up so that the signal activates at the proper time regardless
of the speed of the train, i.e. further away for faster moving trains.