[CBQ] Totally OT - "Hackers"

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Totally OT - "Hackers"
From: "Jonathan Harris" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:34:59 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1321036509; bh=NRBQV2MhiqPorW8L1Sbew6cjLGVfYGkhdy9w3VQqIZw=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=sVrnypnOfV1SIskAwhWZvTcrL7EBnl0eF8wmPkaWEK0ThMIBkrYImwOV7HaOGZPiDjLN/Xq1hNwUnuvgtfxE5LxWUbvr5DHNSMqGP91pB7r5QsxUCxJ6Flxxjf2FgRcQ
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Some of you already know this, no doubt, but I just heard it on the radio and
was so surprised and delighted I couldn't resist sharing it.

The popular term "hacker" apparently originated in the 1950s as a
self-description among members of the MIT model railroad club, who wanted to do
their own thing, make stuff far more advanced than what was available
commercially then, i.e., to do what we commonly now call "scratchbuilding" or
"kitbashing." Back then, the MIT folks called it "hacking." Now of course that
term refers to tweaking computers and their software, often illegally or for
nefarious purposes.

Everyone knows the tremendous contribution railroads made to our culture and
language. It's interesting model railroading also contributed this nugget to
American slang.

jonathan

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com