RE: [CBQ] Helpers.

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Helpers.
From: <georgecrawfordsr@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:16:02 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1319562966; bh=ZSRvMDDXHfZlcOdKsf4VLMqTBjpV4xYJY/V9YljQSzk=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ZFwHDyPM9sMzwLtOSMVUcnXFebVKujEJmOU7IfdYnRhZOiO292LOjfr18sMIWfz39fuk7Ltwcr2rmk95fonpxFxfRISqChCbs2NthPq4sCpW46jNVU7J8ZjrnPw05iEF
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Speaking about a shove, sometime around late summer 1956 or 57 my dad and I
were out in our backyard in York, NB watching CB&Q trains of course. A east
bound freight with a 5600 class 4-8-4 came into town about dinnertime. York
was a water stop for both east and west bound trains. Anyhow, the engineer
showing his skills bought the whole train on his tail and spotted it
perfectly under the spout. Normally they would have left the train west of
town and come in light to spot it easier and also to give them a running
start east which had a slight grade. At the same time the local was in town
with a brand new GP7  and they were tied up in the yard while the east bound
freight watered up. Topping off the tank the engineer of the 4-8-4 yanked
open the throttle and stormed out of town for about a mile when she went to
her knees with the way car right in front of us. (we were about two city
blocks east of the station in York)  Normal operation would have had the
train back about a mile or so west of town and then come roaring through to
conquer the grade. Not this time. The engineer laid down on that 5600's
whistle and low and behold the "Jeep" shot out of the siding up to the way
car and shoved the freight out of town without even blinking an eye. I don't
know who was more surprised, me or dad. Of course the camera was in the
closet  and probably didn't have film in anyway. As far as I know, that
incident was the only time helper service was rendered in York, Nebraska.

Noel (George) Crawford