[CBQ] Re: InterMountain Cylindrical Covered Hopper

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: InterMountain Cylindrical Covered Hopper
From: "graywolfs2" <graywolfs02@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 01:21:56 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1316395321; bh=bB+jIETFsznG5yRamr0Rxlm+si9kN3Dq6vZQvnhALpc=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=aEIlGlz6UhnReLuBteHatouyon4ox6gRXXisXzk6wyABrtovQGzJoITQ0ZIy1wdM+GYCY/z/1dB2rb/WF7kuM2KX8gSZRpu7/SbYxyQdPypysbCD27yVIHcvSk7WR0pq
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Bryan,

Here is what I could gleen from Bulletin #20 "Covered Hoppers"

While I do believe the car(s) you saw has a prototype built by AC&F (American
Car & Foundry), they are not truly prototypical for the "Q".

In Bulletin #20 on page 46 it covers the similar Q hoppers.

The caption on a photo on page 46 partially reads:

"The Burlington was one of the first roads to purchase examples of ACF's
revolutionary Center-Flow cars, acquiring 10 of the 3,500 cubic foot versions
in May 1963."

The info also shows that these first ten cars were classed as LO-3 and were
numbered from 85400-85409.

The photos in the article show only three discharge chutes with six round

Now the picture you in the link to Intermountain shows four discharge chutes
with only four loading hatches.

Also the road number on the Intermountain model is 85412 which is three higher
than the roster shows.

So......

While it doesn't represent a true "Q" prototype, the "modeling license" that
Intermountain took is more realistic than say Athearn providing the DD40X in
the CB&Q Chinese red scheme.

As you are modeling the late 60's, the Intermountain car would fit into this
period.

As further info for you, the Bulletin also reports that the LO-3 class made it
into the BN era numbered in the 441000-441009 series.

I think that only "Q" modelers would know that this car isn't a true "Q"
prototype, but I also think that it is your railroad and I surely wouldn't say
anything.... :)

I hope that this helps and I am sure that others here on the group will weigh
in with more or other information.

Greg
Minnesota

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com