[CBQ] Rochelle-"The can"

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Rochelle-"The can"
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:45:10 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1315496726; bh=VhRG3VFiliF3o0aqQz/shr8Aim4i3lILRnUSVRHGNCQ=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=G303EicSIMi3+oQ98bAQbgmEOsOzGC3LV5HgtoFd27uLbJJSJ56+ymvNc1nNdKsTnQmvUnOn9Re5v1blgTAxX+7qsDfYarOpzYKQEK4YgDiFHGHgE6GFlLmDyXo8SkLg
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Group what follows is from Karl. Followed by my much milder incident  story.

If ya remember, the 2 tracks  under the tin roof at the can each held 2
cars.  If there were MT's ta pull  you'd grab 'em with the 2 loads, set 'em
over and spot up the loads.  Also,  as you should remember, there were concrete
docks that ran along each side  of both tracks and were connected at the
east end by more concrete dock.   Immediately to the east of the dock was a
tin wall and immediately east of  the tin wall is a street.

One day the engine came in  with 4 loads of coiled tin plate for the can.
As was customery, the  Switchman lined George toward the 2 MT's sittin' at
the dock in order ta pull  'em out and spot the loads.  After settin' the
MT's over they lined George  up ta shove 2 loads into track 1.  For reasons
known only ta George, when  they started shovin' into 1, he just kept shovin'
until the car next ta the  engine was "on spot"  This, of course, would have
been just fine if they'd  only had a hold of TWO cars.  Since the tracks
only HELD two cars, the  other 2 cars had ta go SOMEwhere, and they did, right
out into the street,  concrete dock, tin wall and ALL

The street was out of service  fer quite a while and the tin wall looked
somewhat the worse fer the  experience.  Also, a little rebuilding was in
order fer the dock.   George was "reprimanded", the dock was rebuilt and things
returned ta  "normal".

I wonder if the can is still  in business ??  I imagine it would be if Del
Monte is still in  business.

To Karl and others sorry to  say all of the can plant,etc were demolished
several years ago.

One day while working the day  job off the extra list we spotted up the
inbound "J' tinplate box cars w/o  incident and reached over to pull the dock
where outbound cans were loaded into  BN box cars. This was part of the
orginal structure with masonary all around and  overhead. If my memory is
correct
the track held 4 cars. As was the usual  standard pattern "Red" went down
along the dock to make sure the cars had the  deck plates out,doors closed
and ready to pull. He went partway down the dock  and then turned and gave us
the highball. We started pulling and a screeching  sound quickly began at
the rear of the string of cars. Seems the last car still  had the deck plate
in place. Took out a few rows of bricks from the building  wall and scattered
somethings around the dock before we got stopped. I believe  Red filed the
accident report and to my knowledge nothing more was said or done.  A
different time period and culture.

Leo Phillipp

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com