Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 4810

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 4810
From: james sandrin <jamessandrin@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 06:39:46 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1311601569; bh=ggfuDgMnadU0latE9xkP4z5/yUabMGxsEgObkHVNCmw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:Received:Received:Received:DKIM-Signature:Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-eGroups-Approved-By:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=bysuStbn1STTb8ntGORYeVWN5h8SlYLQaPyp4p0K3lhre+PtUCdeXu8s6EIMdS4cy0QCstoyf63zF9yQMUtPNuB33764AABn2ZCDVRVIMHLFNEADEVx3mfPe3fIkWDvS
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1311601568; bh=ByV/Fodjr2wkJDQ9BnbMjYwtwDuqntyefjZ2sL1q62Q=; h=Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:X-Originating-IP:From:Subject:X-Yahoo-Group-Post:X-Yahoo-Profile:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-YGroups-SubInfo:Sender:X-eGroups-Approved-By:X-eGroups-Auth; b=u1FrKPKjSkbMtjn7V27kJHK3vv0qLZIs1LkCBkX+wjBPB8z1uHsOmNr5/N0R7Rn+zYXD/FmJ7jMwqf8F4opoDXMlWGP83qfH+JGW/gMkqjv5y/Wykm9uinpFjhjXW0bM
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I just had to respond to the use of "speeder" in the dialog concerning the
laser
tool house/motor car shed kits. After a youth spent on Extra gangs on the C&S
and UP, and a brief career  as a Track Supervisor, Assistant Roadmaster and
Rules examiner on the D&RGW, I still find the term speeder irritating.  I think
the first time I saw it in print was in one of the modeling magazines and my
thoughts were "Where were these people raised?".  Granted there is great
potential for confusion, particularly if you are a follower of the Q , what
with
Motor Cars, i.e.Gas-Electrics; Motors, i.e. Diesel-Electric locomotives;and
finally Motor cars of the MOW track-car variety.   So,  bowing to  the
political
correctness of today, I will silently roll my eyes when the term  speeder pops
up, knowing that they are actually referring to the Fairmont [and other brands]
type of MOW track car.

The other subject of interest is the abbreviation PHP from the Operating Data
Sheets.  Of course the Packing House Products interpretation is correct,
particularly when you look at the sources of such traffic: Scottsbluff, Souix
City, Omaha, Fremont, Denver and so on.  While meat products, tallow, hides and
the like come to mind, my personal memory is from working the UP extra-board
and
always working the week-end shifts that pulled gondolas full of animal scraps
destined for rendering plants in Kansas City.  Not only was riding the cars a
gut-turning experience,  but we would have to weigh them prior to classifying
them to their respective tracks.  Just the thing to top off a hot summer
afternoon.  Just thought I'd share a few memories.      Jim Sandrin