Re: [CBQ] NE-1, NE-2, NE-4, NE-7, NE-8 or NE9

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] NE-1, NE-2, NE-4, NE-7, NE-8 or NE9
From: "cvlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 14:15:03 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1311362100; bh=yzPfh3yvx807UpIIMdNr3UtEfEVid+FymAH6iCAndM4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=BRt2so2Rcu+dUo2vnG5ilAxlkfn0DQHPf4wP4ttDw0PoojGJpmaj3nnzT/nN79VzXwaOvbU2JWHUtKOd8pyBT8ekmNRcENQHc93BYc7HoSH4mjiZ515c7abW+JA5EtUG
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The CB&Q waycar classes don't mean much as the cars were rebuilt so much over
the years.

Some of the cars date back to the 1870s and looked very much different when
built; what we know as the classic CB&Q waycar (like the Walthers HO car) is
the latest development.  The earliest cars had very narrow, tall, and small
(length) cupolas.   The stereo shot of the yards outside the Aurora Roundhouse
(as part of the Library of Congress documentation of the Aurora Shops) shows
strings of bobber, side door and regular waycars with such cupolas and I
believe two of the drawings in John White's freight car book are of CB&Q cars
(one without a cupola).

It is difficult to try to draw any generalizations about the architecture of
the CB&Q waycar beyond the broad classification of side window type;  the equal
four pane type (most often associated with the 28 Ft three window type and
their stretched incarnations) and the taller two short two tall rectangle
style typical of 30 Ft four window types.  There were many styles of side
sheathing height, cupola, eave board, and marker/signal light arrangements over
the years.   There were at least three different steel underframes; the type
applied to cars so equipped when built, the 30 Ft type applied to former
truss-rodded cars (a number of the 28 Ft cars were "stretched" to fit on these,
either before or after the window group), and the 28 Ft type applied to the 28
Ft cars.

There were oddballs which got the "wrong" window style applied (presumably as a
result of rebuilding) but there might have been a reason they were done that
way beyond convenience.   There were also some three window cars built with
four window characteristics.

Even the No.7 truck was not on some of the early cars... some of the 28 Ft 3
window cars were delivered on wood bolster archbar trucks.

More research needs to be done on the subject... if only we had a book.....

Charlie Vlk