Re: [CBQ] Re: SM-16 and SM-18 Stock Cars

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: SM-16 and SM-18 Stock Cars
From: Robert munshower <bearmtnbob@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 08:04:10 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1310828652; bh=9sU1ZTw7J//ge+HwVUWXHmTQQres8fRroB1DjU54CPE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=fjUXztO/z9cmGsQxtZurnesaBtjVHuAgfZJBKoifimxl0xKtdQCauFtMU5jWZwR107j/B68iMkVuYcMx1kh0vaI9De0beVJsrRngZyjyWblNt6tbqBuwZ1TxP3FLkrIE
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
As an old ex-railroader my opinions may be suspect, but the worn out and
dilapidated cosmetic appearance of stock cars also came from the fact that the
wood cars were only in use for a short period most of the year, and as a
consequence were stored in the worst, most out of the way places. In Colorado
and Wyoming they were left out on prarie and plains sidings where they were
exposed to blowing wind laden with sand etc 24/7. Seems like the only paint
they received on the exterior was a rectangular area where RR numbers and
reporting marks were stenciled, FRA/ICC regs declared these areas were to kept
clear and legible. Another problem with paint was on locomotive wheels. Many
have stated that outside faces on wheels were painted white to make cracks and
shells more visible, this is actually the opposite of what was done. FRA/ICC
was quite clear on the fact that paint was not to be used on wheels for
purposes of inspection or testing because it "hid" and
 disguised or covered up cracks etc. I remember a superintendent at the 7th
Street Rice Yard who was a really decent guy and great to work for, asked me if
I and a helper could paint the "rims" on an 800 SD-9 for an employee day
exhibit at Denver Union Terminal. I assured him that if we did that, within
weeks the SD9 with whitewalls would be in every fan magazine and the butt of
unending jokes (as would he) in the railfan press.