Re: [CBQ] Mystery station

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Mystery station
From: Michael Johns <mrjohns27@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 11:49:39 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1307558996; bh=kY92DJMxm2auhxB58xxkra0az6JINq/K/HdV3AwUX1I=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ebV/nWWS6Hg3GpuoeEGWmT5iy0ISJK5RP6a97hrSMFZMMTYG8fMsyE1XG/mDCUh3+xxghlkpkZLuGt/daa4QcXpb6ohwcQrFM+HlU2nshx7D0HI9HWskXrsE1rxICxmn
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Batavia, Iowa, looking down the mainline westward toward Ottumwa. The Ft.
Madison and NW narrow guage never reached Batavia, Iowa  as a narrow guage
(that was a mistaken notion set forth in Robert Brown's book on the Iowa
Peavine). The narrow guage stopped at Collete in Jefferson County, Iowa.
Converted to standard gauge in 1896-97, extended to Ottumwa (1897) as the
"Chicago, Ft. Madison & Des Moines Railroad", purchased by CBQ in 1900, portion
Ottumwa to Batavia abandoned by CBQ in 1902 (because it was duplicate track and
closely paralleled the CBQ mainline into Ottumwa for 14 unneccessary miles),
track built into CBQ mainline at Batavia to allow through- service on the Ft.
Madison-Stockport branch. Service ended 1939 between Batavia, Iowa and
Birmingham, Iowa.

Michael Johns
"Remembering Southeast Iowa's Peavine"