[CBQ] Re: interurban single car from burlington 1950's

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: interurban single car from burlington 1950's
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 08:19:16 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1306415968; bh=S8+/RO+KKAn/Kg0m5tm3YV7CHaGXN5+1AVJcLW0NFWg=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Y8l4y8wf/0ecIrn47fRpjoP2L0wbJwcvV1h8tfPruXR1qYLob2Rb02CKWPmdVNSR0RfTRj5K+0m7sJ3xt8gPK/yYimWURdcmzjqUkQ53JQF4oRW/riqeO3sYBXA86Lm3
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Nelson,

In the summer of 1942, my late parents took a day trip on the Q from
Berwyn, IL to Streator, IL and return. Between Berwyn and Aurora,,
they road a commuter train. At Aurora, they boarded a gas-electric
for the trip to Streator and return. The car that day, was #9845. Dad
had a Kodak Bantam Special which used 828 size film. He shot
Kodachrome transparency film on the trip. Unfortunately, film was
expensive back then and resources were limited, so he only took a few
photos. Several are of the #9845. The rest are of scenes along the
way and a couple Santa Fe trains at Streator. For the most part, the
color of those photos has held up well including the paint scheme on
#9845. About the same time, Dad built an HO scale model of #9845
using an early Walthers kit as a base. His model included a complete
interior with seats that he cast himself. I still have the model and
the seat molds that he made. The model is no longer operational. A
year later, Dad who was working for that new company in La grange,
Electro-Motive, was drafted into the Navy SeaBees units and spent the
rest of the war in the south Pacific.

As a side note, I sort of went along on the Streator trip, but I
wasn't born until the following January.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com