RE: [CBQ] MOW Paint Scheme

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] MOW Paint Scheme
From: Gerald Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 10:58:58 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1300550367; bh=UNIq6qjMAmJJWWGWembg9EZLgrXnwOAFJu50MMBJA/s=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=KPf0tEHYYoj1fBMvU3ZBtfUGQWoUue12xOwyP1wiQb89GtadKQv8/RWWzCi6ZMdWGMzOfyvDsNz+bO4ZKsp0G4tKEVCCrc4Yysv/X5rs7SxH3bmhkQxjsLJT7Nt5Upqz
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
This has been covered several times before on this list so ck archives but
here's a recap.

Up to 1940's (early 50's on Lines West) MoW was box car red.  Orange then
became the color for virtually all MoW rolling stock with a few exceptions:
tank cars were orange, silver or black depending on whether carrying potable
water, fuel oil, etc (color difference to insure no mix-up)  Also some hwt
passenger cars and flats in Mechanical service (hauling traction motors, etc)
were silver (fading to light silvery grey).  The hwt's that were painted orange
could have black, silver or orange roofs - pick a proto.  I've done a clinic or
two with lots of slides @ past BRHS meets.

Toward the very end of CB&Q, some ex-frt cars remained in their old paint when
converted to MoW.  Ex-reefers, boxcars, gons, flats, hoppers etc were nearly
always orange the last 20-30 yrs with some remaining such well into BN.  The
orange varied from reefer orange to near yellow due to fading.  Again look at
proto pics.  Rarely would a string of MoW cars be the same shade of orange
unless all just painted as a  group. Hwt cars (& a few S.S. pass cars that went
into MoW in very late 60's) were in the 250000 series; the ex-frt cars were in
the 200-229000 series with a few exceptions (tanks cars, ballast hoppers, etc)
Again, look for proto pics/slides of area you are modeling.
Ex-pass used for dining, sleepers, office, shower, etc.  Ex-box used for tool,
bunk, shower, special use and flats/gons etc as you would expect.  Again look
at pics in various books, BB's and at BRHS meets.

A MoW setout on the proto could vary from a single car to a long string
depending on whether a 'gang' or local work,  Great to model as there is a
proto for just about everything (inc. a few ex-stock cars to carry ties right
near BN time)

Gerald