Re: [CBQ] Railroad Operations

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Railroad Operations
From: John Manion <railbass@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 21:08:08 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299298096; bh=rEParezlACq88CHeBJIoqmgnREEWNylFmSo8krvvCE0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:X-Google-Sender-Auth:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=SFt+dCAeqjLyHgIQKHByC97HLvKlUs5jOQ1NIV0+SvKztqFzGydf4s8VYobIrZvtAbaN7B4qvt5D6dTEfeurkleDvvGM4bng9zRbOkQOeIMomclW6dOAz60wfBbzYkW9
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Continuing this thread on railroad business, an excellent example is
the cover article in the March 2011 Trains magazine on Civil War
Rails.   The Union did not contract with or request the services of
railroads - they ran the railroads from operations to maintenance to
building.   Many of the most effective Union leaders came from the
railroads, and many Union officers returned to railroads after the
war, such as Gen William J Palmer and the D&RG.   The article is a
little academic, but it provides much insight into railroads in the
war.   Unfortunately to some extent, this example continued in the
future, with the USRA in WWI and WPB in WWII.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com