[CBQ] Re: team track - groceries

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: team track - groceries
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 09:35:40 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1294760152; bh=gRqabp4pGSIzUK2gEbhRI91V7LaJP0IaUzw4jL9csjQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=khYyYsqlMboy1e4+nFs+qBJKLDs4hzaAeUk9vyMUc4MWwDdbIjpz+0Rl/Jm5eRJl4AoK0gkfjNuA+ubCvqzkrVLQgEluoPSxK8Mb5F6PVuCMfCdaawoWQqYNbLcKC8HG
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Gerald,

While I agree that independent stores were far more prominent in the
time period before and immediately after WWII, in Downers Grove where
I grew up, chain stores were already a common fixture. In our town,
we had A&P Tea Co. (Atlantic & Pacific, at the time the largest
retail company in the world), National Tea Co, Jewel Tea Co. (a
Chicago based chain that now days, owns Osco Drugs), F. W Woolworth 5
& Dime, Sears Roebuck & Co, Western Auto, Montgomery Ward Co. plus
several chain gas stations. We also had local grocery stores, one of
which was affiliated with Certified Grocers Distribution and another
affiliated with IGA (Independent Grocers Assn.). Downers had a team
track in downtown area south of the depot and another about eight
west of downtown. All of the above chain stores were in operation
prior to WWII.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com