Re: [CBQ] Re: LCL

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: LCL
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 21:08:14 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1294463304; bh=E6zcI8aiFKwO3O3ClRTJ83LD0RY8s6FSBUT7JkjNaCA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=qK9Wi9S3GsdiKljSEZFQqv4K4XmzY4lYxkM/Usyl2MiY1754jpzmI2nI+Ip7LVFgujKSR+mREdnCXhYgT1r721+6P2jBtpjMQoyV8ekae9VIKt7VTueqQIdvbtgbBGQM
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The major packing companies did indeed run what were properly termed  "peddler
cars" For LCL meat and packinghouse products, (the way freight cars on locals
were not true "peddler cars". Peddler car had a fixed meaning in commerical
trade circles i.e. the packing business). The peddler would run in through
trains to a "break bulk point" and then in locals as it was worked from town to
town, delivering orders to various meat markets. By the way, these orders were
probably taken by "drumers" who traveled from town to town by local pessenger
or mixed trains. And they sent their orders to the home office using the
services of Western Union, whose office likely as not was at the depot. The
peddlers were operated on fixed schedule, (usually weekly on the same day of
the week). The IC operated a Swift peddler car into the late 50's. It "broke
bulk" at Carbondale and "peddled" south of there. I know the Q operated a
"peddler" to Paducah until the 40's. It
 "broke bulk" at Paducah and "peddled" over the NC&StL south of there. REA also
peddled meat and packing house products on passenger trains in the hey day of
local pessenger trains.