[CBQ] Livestock Pens at Oregon, IL

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Livestock Pens at Oregon, IL
From: "DaveS" <sartherdj@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 03:47:04 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1291175224; bh=/kokq6fntrwzZ5cXSqHg27YT6YqQrJY7xO5Fp9vRw8I=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=sIfdqT6ddhx7bPZ+eVtrlfLRYkYSpbmzZSt2ix2e/31WA1/xkRbPZwaKZHI3flzgn5DsgB36IvUVF5t/AFw8a1eBzcVnb8LV4I15It61evNP9Gvf71dyBYuTnCpPejF8
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I am trying to gather as much information as I can about the Livestock Pens and
their operation at Oregon, IL.  Here is the information I have learned to date.
 Bulletin #25 (table on p. 34) spells out that there were six pens and the
track adjacent to the pens had a capacity of ten cars.  The photo album section
of the CB&Q Group has a photo posted by Bob Rees in the Oregon, IL album that
shows a corner of the Livestock Pen roof (photo by Jim Purcell taken in 1947).
The centerpoint of that photo is not the pens but the 2-6-2 "dinky" working the
yard in front of the Oregon depot. Then there is the 2003 Zephyr article about
Oregon, IL that features a 1928 schematic drawing of the track locations, CB&Q
facilities and industry locations switched by the local crew around Oregon, IL.

Here is what I would like to learn.  When did the livestock operation at Oregon
begin?  When did the operation end?  What type of livestock were generally
loaded on to cars at this location?  In general, what was the final destination
of the loaded livestock cars?  Are there any photos that can be posted of the
pens, unloading and trackside loading chutes and shed?

Thanks,  Dave Sarther    Tucson, AZ

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com