Re: [CBQ] Photo needed-Special train between Aurora and Chicago

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Photo needed-Special train between Aurora and Chicago
From: "cvlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:32:06 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1290101505; bh=dHT3PW0/TWLDRRSb3hy2PbooBwLDF5zgJhiHXmViIus=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=O/gxLxQeO2wB+tfG6sCekqrhokwnSobEGujApz8MnQyCnptW8i0PamnoJ08sbxU+VSZHWU2gJYSfX98orv2DC7uMRquXhrilo9ZeCTt5oBLVKe1cwRTzuryIZ8fSs/to
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Are we talking about the movement of the "wheel car" which, in the 50s and 60s
and maybe beyond, was a steel sheathed wood heavyweight baggage car with one
end removed which handled (primarily??) wheelsets from the Zephyr Pit to the
shops in Aurora.   It was tacked on to the rear of a Dinky when I used to see
it.  I imagine at one time there might have been need for a separate train
(when Western Avenue Roundhouse, Downers Grove, and maybe Eola needed to get
parts and supplies).
I am not sure if flats with E unit trucks were handled for the Zephyr Pit or if
they went between West Burlington and Aurora since E units were cycled into
Aurora on Dinkys for most maintenance.
Charlie Vlk

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com