[CBQ] Car 57 progress report

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com, colorado-railfan@yahoogroups.com, union_pacific@yahoogroups.com, dsp-p@yahoogroups.com, pullmancompanyresearchers@yahoogroups.com, thedenverroad@yahoogroups.com, earlyrail@yahoogroups.com, bnsf@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Car 57 progress report
From: MICHAEL PANNELL <michael.pannell@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 04:02:04 +0100 (BST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1287111735; bh=gcohqmsTZvFd59sOdWZtWSerOEQz6GFmmT39/e5qRuI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=R5hvG+A2RVrVtrlzo3bI0rl3jewppZ0SgKFthDbaIwHKA1KXe+fvvDtANCj69Ya4xptzb7ShHR8FP5cdPNsikDYSTQluylhNSRbg9woQ/ogaQiWdylykeQ4TpfnPpX0t
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
We are now deep into essential and urgent roof work to get the car through its
first winter with the sheet roof exposed since 1954. I have spent 8 weeks of
afternoons working on the roof from scaffold or ladders and my knees and back
are telling me its time to stop !! I have with the help of a very talented
building contractor replicated the wood roof edge trim with its shaped drip
rail
and I am replacing all of it, 10ft lengths being fitted by myself from a
ladder,
no mean feat !

De-nailing the old roof edge is tedious there is a nail or tack every inch for
56 feet. Its really sad having to replace all this wood especially the
clerestory screen frames which are all original with there Pullman green paint
inside and all the builders and overhaul stamps, but they are totally rotted
out. We will save all the panels with the stamp marks on them and
maybe incorporate them in the new panels. Its amazing that so much origianl
exterior wood has survived this long.

The 1909 Paris Exposition ticket, our prize find, is now being investigated by
the Grand Palais museum curators in France, they called it VERY interesting.
Nice to meet the two gents from the CBQ list on their way to the NMRA meeting
today too, thanks for the donation chaps !

New pictures at
http://mikepannell254.fotopic.net/p67683934.html

Regards to all
Mike Pannell