[CBQ] CB&Q promoting football specials

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q promoting football specials
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:01:39 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1285948911; bh=Pk4YIJWqUewm5lLEvCq5nCN4iX9p2qxOXil06g8owAk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ZD9NnsCHLfib0/ZCAHxnigiZEJQL+LDn/CZ56yVJ5EYung+xU1Vh1L/c0fV9mMiMmfK4jrjyfRRS8Ev+JQsWIEEVaWCbOQf3KzuUD87Cr9CDWx5QKFXsWGkcHM4R5++E
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I recently forwarded to some of my Q friends info on the "Hawkeye Express' - a
small train (ex-C&NW Metra bi-levels & a 1st generation Amtrak loco at either
end) that takes fans from nearby Coralville (with lots of free parking) to
legendary Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City.  This practice began with the old Rock
Island because as luck would have it, their main was 100 yards from where
Kinnick was built.  The Rock (now Iowa Interstate) has a 'cut' adjacent to the
stadium's west parking lot so wooden stairs were built & fans took special
trains to games.  The practice stopped when Rock went under but began again a
few yrs ago using equipment owned by Iowa Northern (last used for a Colorado
ski train) on Iowa Interstate track.

The CB&Q promoted similar service albeit from Omaha to Lincoln as I just
learned from a Q authority the Q track in Lincoln is just 200 yards from where
Nebraska plays (sorry I'm an Iowa grad so til U of Neb joins the Big 10 next
yr, I have no reason to care about their stadium EXCEPT that it's on the Q!)
Apparently BN did not continue this practice.  (nor Amtrak)

I have blotters, flyers & other memorabilia that the Q issued to promote the
football traffic to Lincoln.  I'd guess there are NOT a lot of major stadiums
in USA right on a major RR's track.  That said several RR's promoted special
trains to Bowl games as I have seen special menus for the Burlington taking
teams to Pasadena via their usual connections.  The Q also printed special
menus for teams riding their trains to regular games: have examples of U. of
Minnesota and Illinois.  They did the same for pro football & baseball teams.

What have the rest of you seen or are aware of?  tks!

Gerald

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com