Re: [CBQ] "East End Job"

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] "East End Job"
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 20:05:37 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1283483146; bh=jE9/XquOnobfuW0YEm64PrOZ32u2A1pRJy7rqTbtzN0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=KiqTGD0wInPhdXpgeWjPhC3Y1c1nb+nGItNoK5u0AELnm7ayjloe6FaHEmQnzFot/ps45ntbO8otIrvdO20ZxVwfSFMKG1hYVDktRMKHCYHqbiPoONupifufOHZhi1W2
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Larry in the '70's and early '80's
The East End Wayfreight came out of Eola in the morning after the parade and
worked to Congress Park and back.
The Congo worked afternoons out of Cicero switching the IHB transfers that
delivered at Congress Park to the North side at Westmount and or Downers Grove
after sorting north and west cars where the 185 trains for the north and 351
trains picked them up.  Sometimes a 351 would switch out the park early before
the parade.  Working as operator at Congress Park on second trick we use to
receive from 300 to 500 cars a day and often the Congo would pencil switch if
there were not too many cars so they would mine run them to Galesburg for the
hump.  Back before they modernized the hump there and could  handle the traffic.
Eastbound trains if they did not fit at the park would set out at Nabisco and
the next that would fit would pickup and move the cars to the park.  There use
to be a hand throw crossover just east of Maple Ave and you could bring the
freight east on main two he could use the crossover and set out in the mean
time
bring a dinky down main three into the depot at Congress Park with the lunar
signal and when the freight locked up the xover the dinky got a clear cab
signal
and High-Balled.

I worked the East End Swing for a couple years and then moved to 2nd Trick for
3years getting off the in May of '83.
See you in Geneva??
Steve in SC