Re: [CBQ] Lambert 2-8-2

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Lambert 2-8-2
From: John Manion <railbass@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:25:42 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1283037949; bh=oubFpH1790loqX52WyeTCgHRBCVkDWjnNT/qao0lMsM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:X-Google-Sender-Auth:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=aW7zT/XrLi1N/1IQ8WCAnmNxLlbvKEnqo/337/gwHP8o6fy6UYQ20/1V3XFDEZlAxjBM3ljL+tlUgK4eJ0y5KLRh6HGcqCZnGvskYD5r34CWIecHpx0ny5/PyoelQxpm
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ricky -
I have three LMB O-1a's and an Oriental O-1a, but I do not have a layout and
so can't speak to running experience.   I took a couple of my LMBs out and
tried them on my test track.   One does not run at all, and the other runs
quite erratically, starting at a higher speed with lots of power applied.
The models have OFM motors, which means no interior cab detail, and a simple
worm gear drive.   I bought these models intending to repower them with can
motors, detail the cab interior, and add other details to them.   The basic
dimensions seem accurate, so they would be a good starting point for some
kitbashing.   If you are hoping to get a model which could be painted and
decaled from the box, the LMB models leave a lot to be desired.   Keep in
model that they were made many years ago and often sell for a lower price.
The question you have to answer is how much work you are prepared to do on
an LMB model to make it appear and operate as a good replica.   I am sold on
DCC and will be adding DCC units to each of my brass models as I repower and
detail them.

The Oriental O-1a is more detailed , including a simplified cab interior,
but it also has an earlier OFM and drive.   It is a better appearing model
and so normally calls for a higher price.

If you want a model you can take out of the box and operate without much
effort, the LMB is probably not for you.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com