Re: [CBQ] re: Grier restaurants

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] re: Grier restaurants
From: John Manion <railbass@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:46:04 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1282758374; bh=b0yrc0hd6H1NiBm59/KbUkwLqZqmdJ2eBq4DITkuDOk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:X-Google-Sender-Auth:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=pYpxWuIQcHyVTKx5bH/+cdF8+FSPGS5kUq6MV07LjIdqzcE7RKWZy264Uhbh/Ja/3cbNHCp8B5DifoeWXgLAdPnreuVM/Q5X5ZKusQjXz+HgeWL7CMfoNtqS1Y15ReNd
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I just finished reading Lesley Poling-Kempes' *The Harvey Girls: Women Who
Opened the West *(1989)*.   *Fred Harvey, an English immigrant, worked for
the H&SJ and CB&Q from 1862 into the late 1870s.   He began his restaurant
business in 1875, just before becoming the Q's general western freight
agent.   He approached the Q with his ideas and the desperate need for such
services, but the Q was not impressed and did not believe a railroad company
should invest in food services.   They suggested he approach the AT&SF
because they "would try anything."

Harvey's empire with the AT&SF became legendary partly because some Q exec's
were too short-sighted to see a business opportunity coming from within
their own ranks.   Harvey started the now-famous system with the AT&SF on an
informal basis in 1876 and by contract in early 1878.   As the business
expanded with the AT&SF, Harvey then quit the Q to operate the Harvey Houses
full time.

How would Judy Garland sing a song about the CB&Q?
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com