Re: [CBQ] Q VO-1000

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Q VO-1000
From: Bryan Howell <tubaman21@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:03:02 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1281852190; bh=k45COD3SN+03sCiqilOB8AMzFZW95cYFaS7KhIS+NTM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=SMAQjJXeu9YOYCJH/m1KMzNRaD+jJQYjchbUEvRz/Z2/FSYXlonHC9yg6D8J4mMPKU0pAV0337IkY1dxiR1RPGeXc2QFy1OSVOwwrGbTpdhP2rYy5YFbAHAjDUFBEuAi
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I came across this explaination on a Chuck Zeiler photo on RRPA.

"They were powered by a De La Vergne four-cycle eight-cylinder in-line diesel
prime mover coupled to Westinghouse electrical gear, producing 1000 horsepower,
or 60,405 pounds of tractive effort. It was found that the single exhaust stack
tended to create back pressure, and as a result, tended to overheat. The CB&Q
(and other railroads) solved this problem by installing four stacks on many of
its VO-1000's, resulting in a noisier locomotive. Some railroads went so far as
to add eight exhaust stacks, a practice Baldwin called, "hot-rodding"."

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1211602

IIRC, I believe that there are 'dimples' on the underside of the hood to mark
where the stacks should go.  I do not believe that all units got this
modification or what time period they were done.  Looking at photos on RRPA,
some units still had the single stacks into the mid 60s when they started
leaving the roster.

 Bryan J. Howell
tubaman21@yahoo.com