[CBQ] Re: Official CB&Q 'hotels'

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Official CB&Q 'hotels'
From: "mdeckergwtcnet" <mdecker@gwtc.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:12:27 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1281103978; bh=Dn+fzjtUo1GTMs7im6ECnyti2URX9awhZfqMbPH2rGQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=gQJoxf8jDNqH58/769aaPbt0OB110NbXzyRonjYErDzRWwMW6iLc5gp48se9xZdbtkYWgaQHI2/z4WOhzWgIHgMRO/F56L1foCRJUQp6U254rIgPmYBwMmRIGNLDTEvH
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@...> wrote:

> Per a 1964 agreement with BLE & B of Loco Firemen & Enginemen, here is the
> list of then approved "suitable lodging"   All are 'x' Hotel unless noted
> otherwise.  Might be fun to visit a few & see if any OLD emps have memories
> of CB&Q crews.  NOTE: only 16 cities of the 64 listed had 2 approved hotels &
> just 3 had 3 approved BUT Chicago was NOT one of them!
>
> NEBRASKA
>
> Ravenna: Bart, West

> Alliance; Alliance, Drake

> Edgemont: (3!) Oxnard, Huff, Prince
>
> SOUTH DAKOTA:
>
> Deadwood: Franklin
>
> WYOMING:
>
>> Gillette: Montgomery, Goings
> MONTANA

When I hired out in '77, I stayed at the Drake in Alliance for Brakeman class,
and the two times I was forced down there as an Engineer.  The building was
gone last summer when we went through there.

I don't know why Edgemont is listed in Neb., but the Huff and Oxnard were still
in business in '77 and until the Company had a "complex" built...I think
sometime in the '90's.  I don't remember which was which, but the Engine Men
stayed at one, and the Trainmen stayed at the other.  One building is still
standing, I think it's the Huff.  I was never in either, but they weren't
5-star joints :>)

My one trip to Deadwood as Engineer, we stayed at the Franklin.  It was one of
those bathroom down the hall places....not near as fancy as it probably is now
as a Gambling joint :>)

The Goings and Montgomery were "overflow" accomodations in Gillette by '77.
The Company had a small "complex" over by the roundhouse.  It only had about
two dozen rooms, and with full crews, and students, it was always full.  I
stayed at the Goings a few times, another b'room down the hall joint.  The
"Monkey" was the railroad bar, and waaay too noisy for sleeping, unless you
applied a sufficient amount of "incentive" before  going upstairs :>)

Mike

Now, we've got a new Complex in what used to be "the country" South of I-90,
with 80 rooms in one building and probably the same in the other, "MOW",
building.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com