[CBQ] Re:Fan Trip Bulletin Article (Was: My First Fan-trip, Not one but

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Fan Trip Bulletin Article (Was: My First Fan-trip, Not one but two big steamers)
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:05:29 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1281020756; bh=7WCmhDlqbUTAH80ArKIExJJWChy7fitlz9Oky6gU3WA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=TJ6HIIVcVqr0TtoeBT8qU1GiSXximncPfdpJ4dKPeSk+TJVfOpcgKWY4aYtDOeDBZ27ZTxglkTUC/qC2CFW06hKvfNaHSB0yq4wliukCOxww4R8oqbpOk7Cki9+bvG79
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dave,

Since I was there for some of it and I probably have the time as a
retiree, I might be willing to take a stab at creating a list and
photo file all of the fan trips which would cover probably 1954 to
1966. However, there was a "fantrip" way back in the late '30s with
one of the hudsons. There is a good start for this project. There
were several small paperback books published during the fantrip era
that covered fantrips in general and, in some cases, Q specifically.

Two of these were written by Harold Edmonson. These include The Steam
Fan Trip (published 1962) and Steam on Q (published 1960). The latter
covers every trip during the first five years starting with the July,
1955 trip with #5600 and #4955 and ending with the July 4th weekend
trip from Chicago to St. Paul with #5632 (it failed at White Pines
with an eccentric rod problem). Included in Harold's book are trips
on the C&S and FW&D as well as a couple of non steam excursions.
There is even a Phil Weibler photo of the #637's  Ft. Madison -
Bloomfield, IA trip that Pete mentioned in his post.

There is also a book by Ed Wojtas, titled Steam Wide and Narrow,
(published 1959), about the first Illini RR Club trip to the Colorado
narrow gauge in 1959. A fourth book, written by J. A. Stowe, titled
the Northern and the Mike, A Tale of Two Locomotives, (published
1966) documents the fan trip assignments of the #4960 and #5632.
While it doesn't list all of the trips, it does reference specific
trips in the photo captions.

Three of these books were published by the Illini RR Club. It appears
that Harold may have published one of his books himself as there is
no specific publication information. I have copies of all four books,
plus a several others that reference fan trips.

If such a bulletin article is written, may I suggest that, in
addition to fan trips both steam and non steam (there was at least
one gas-electric trip), that the article should also include a list
of all of the steam choo choo trips that the Q ran in the early
1960s, primarily for school children. I have a list of some of those,
but no where near all of them. I also have few if any photos of
those. I do have photos from every fan trip that I rode and others
that I saw or chased. If I can be of assistance on such a project,
please contact me off list and we can discuss the project. This could
be an interesting subject for a Bulletin article and should be of
interest to both those that were there and those that wish they were.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com