[CBQ] New Edition "Peavine"

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] New Edition "Peavine"
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:40:16 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1276288820; bh=Cj/4H+8ehjQk3YP7kU1KruW5slKe6thlDADapQgXPtM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=AdBzuUCJdCp04ML2VjFmj15H9A8QsIL+mR2CmN38yl2e8gHz0Ekc2xqmIh4j2hL4kFX9Bi8unOVKM5utF5plu+a2+rHxRsE9Z0VrAhaC4WciN9Oebc79CjWhh8CchQVj
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
BOOK  REVIEW

Good news/bad news:  Bud Linroth's "A History of the CB&Q Illinois Pea Vine"
(subtitled 'The Galesburg to Savanna Branch') that was sold out is now
available again!!  The bad news is that if you were one of the lucky ones to
get the limited 1st Edition, you will need to buy this one as it is
exponentially better.  Again, this is a new Edition, NOT a reprint!

Available June 23 either on-line*, via phone or at the Galesburg RR Show, the
2nd Edition is like night & day compared to the 1st.  Over the years I have
acquired scores of CB&Q books, some by historians (Overton, Baldwin),
well-informed fans (Corbin, Wagner, Holck, Glick, Spoor), by former employees
(Hardy, Douda) and ranging in quality from national-award winners to titles
only a dyed-in-the-wool fan would buy.  I admire EVERY author however because
as much as all of us enjoy Burlington books and sometimes think it would have
been a much better book if "we wrote it!", the reality is very few CB&Q fans
take the time to even write an article for The Zephyr.  So hats off to our
authors!!!

Bud, a former BN employee in Illinois shortly after merger in the 70's, drew
upon his own memories, those of older ex-Q men, his collection & others photos,
etc to write a book covering the heart of the Q in Illinois - the line from
Galesburg to Savanna, i.e. connecting the Denver & Twin Cities mains with
attendant branches.  Feeding to/from the Beardstown coal fields to the south
and the many connections in the north, this area has a rich history.   Both the
old & new editions are softbound, 8&1/2" x 11" and every photo & 'fact' in the
1st Ed. is in the 2nd  but there is where the common ground ends.

Frankly the 1st Ed. left many of us wishing photo reproduction had been better,
more (better) color used, better organization, etc.  Well, Bud apparently
agreed because the new Edition has 4 times more & far better color (134!),
greatly improved paper stock, far better editing (no wasted white space; indeed
there are several two-page photo spreads), etc.  Even illustrations of old
tickets, maps, flimsies, etc are improved as they are in color except of course
for the b/w originals.  Old b/w pics come alive in Sepia (& if you wonder how
that looks, just look at the cover of the new Ed.).  Best of all, there are
many more NEW photos as Bud reached out to more  contributors and the results
are clearly evident.  Just the cover alone makes you think it's a totally
different book (full page view of the Barstow depot & a work train a century
ago - don't worry, the old 1st Ed cover pic is inside).  But then again, this
IS a 'new' book.

Rare b/w & color photos from every corner of the Pea Vine are now included and
provide some great detail for modelers from 1900 to BN time.   There is still a
little shortcoming in Chap 11 which covers the Q & Milw trackage in & around
Savanna.  This has been a confusing area to both the Milw & Q Yahoo lists as
tracks were rebuilt/shared/abandoned multiple times. The chapter needed a
better map so locales can be better placed.  A photo of the peat plants would
have been nice too as they were a unique shipper on the Q.  Some readers may
find coverage of Brotherhood rosters and local anecdotes not desirable but I
found it refreshing to keep a 'human' touch, not unlike "Granger Country".  Any
railroad is "people" and the Q had exceptional ones.  A side note to would be
authors:  remember your readers are not as familiar with the areas you
described unless they also were part of the same train crew!

Like the 1st Ed, this version has 9 chapters covering different lines/branches
in the area plus 3 chapters covering passenger service, Brotherhoods and
explanation of Train orders/Rules, etc.  There is still a little choppiness in
the sense that most chapters cover a range of predecessor roads (Rockford, Rock
Island & St. Louis, CB&N, Illinois Grand Truck, etc) and connecting shortlines
up thru BN so you get carried back & forth well over 100 years in each chapter.
 The advantage is of course you can pick a segment & read its chapter to
railfan or model. (a good color keyed map of the lines is on the back cover)
There is also a 6 pp index, 2 pp bibliography & a very useful 2 pp glossary for
newbies and old heads alike such as Dri Line, spring switch & Quad Cities)

The 2nd Edition is actually 8 pp shorter than the 1st but has FAR more content
again because 'white' space has been eliminated (including some blank pages in
the 1st Ed.).  I would encourage any of you considering doing a CB&Q article,
pamphlet or book to compare the two Editions & see how good editing can do
wonders (which is why professional authors have editors; that is a talent
totally different than 'writing').  I also applaud Bud for seeking more input
from other Q fans - it never ceases to amaze me that some authors do not
approach railfans to get photos, old postcards & brochures that they do no
otherwise have access too.   Thanks too as Bud gives contact info for BRHS,
Galesburg RR Museum, etc.

The "bad" news of course is those of us who were lucky enough to buy a 1st
Edition are now wondering "should we buy the 2nd' AND if we do, what to do with
the 1st?"  I respectfully suggest that if you live in Q country, give your 1st
Ed. to a local library or museum (& if you don't give to someone who does to
donate for you).

*List is $39.95 but BRHS mbrs get a price of $35.95 (Thanks Bud!).  Add $3.16
postage in either case (& Bud picks up the Sales Tax if you live in Illinois).
His email is: wcman8@yahoo.com, USPS is 1681 Knox Rd. 1350 East, Dahinda, IL
61428 or call him at (309) 289-7348.  THere will also be a website:
www.CBQPeavine.com

I think you just found YOUR Fathers' Day gift!  Just print out the last
paragraph above & give to the family!  But do not delay, printing is limited &
a lot will be sold at Galesburg.

And more good news:  Bud is now preparing a book on the line from Galesburg to
Quincy and related branches.  Dig out those pics and info!

Gerald Edgar