[CBQ] Re: Kroehler Furniture

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Kroehler Furniture
From: "graywolfs2" <graywolfs02@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 01:31:09 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1275183078; bh=q+YPFkEWQi5a0ph9gV2zJ4xzdcLgrw3XvXmIfhnGT3Y=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=qR6azEwlw6BA/6CICNi4pkIcKDA+WxIFoSkJOJ9hkoa5MeBv0Sa/8oc1t+OlL4/kVUoLkp6ep4BOAA2WpYKgHM8GZe+E+DHk+qKFzXrJWHHVHZTKY6trbwSMgWgkQHS2
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@...> wrote:

> While looking for something else in old "X2200 South" in Dec. 1970  Kroehler
> Furniture Naperville,Ill.
> "Has apparently abandoned their short overhead trolley line but small
> unidentified unit is still at the plant and track is intact    J.D. Ingles,
> Springfield, Ill"
>
> Anyone from Naperville remember this little operation???
>
> Steve in SC

Hi Steve,

Growing up in Naperville, I crossed the tracks of this "trolley" on a daily
basis but never saw it in operation.

Loomis St. ran just to the East of the Kroehler factory and the "trolley" line
crossed Loomis just to the North of the crossing signals for the 3 track "Q"
main (Loomis St. is the point of impact of the '47 flyer wreck). The crossing
signals did NOT protect the trolley crossing.

A ways to the East of the factory was where they stored wood for the making of
the furniture.

I have a photo that I cannot remember who took it. It was sent to me a number
of years ago.

This photo can be found in the files section as I could not get it to up-load
in the photo section.

Look for file:

img001 Kroehler Trolley.

In the photo, you can see a couple of bunks of lumber loaded on the trolley,
crossing Loomis St. heading towards the factory.

As time passed during my trips to school walking passed here, the lumber
storage gave way more and more the trailer storage for Kroehler.

The trolley looks to be home built and uses a three wire pick up for
power.....I remember seeing those above the tracks.

I moved up to the Twin Cities with my parents in 1970 due to the BN merger. My
dad worked in the signal dept in the GOB in Chicago.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, I can try to answer them.

Another person that could possibly help would be Chuck Zeiler as he too grew up
in Naperville and actually lived not too far from the Loomis St crossing South
of the tracks if I remember rightly.

Greg K.

Minnesota

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com