[CBQ] Illinois Railway Museum - RPO Days June 12 and 13

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Illinois Railway Museum - RPO Days June 12 and 13
From: "ttcollector1981" <jon_habegger@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 00:53:06 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1275180806; bh=VC+45vv8lxlk4lFX426D1jEwDMYgP43NvHoLXF0uQis=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=je0O/RiIbOjuKfzWDox16UYYP1ua0nyTI00x7yEOHKPruZVIdMFu/yMRwoYL1JYlw8IThRbELdq7+4QJLTeNkg2LYZ89eqFHGNcUFoPG6m73wWmjy1LraVFqdqwv4Pih
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Two weeks from today, the Illinois Railway Museum will host RPO Days on
Saturday and Sunday, June 12 and 13.

At present, I know of a dozen or more former Clerks who plan to attend.  Again
this year, there will be a number of former Clerks who ran on the Bluffs
(Chicago - Council Bluffs).

On Sunday, Cynthia Rich, PhD from Eastern Illinois University, will be at the
Museum.  A class that she taught this past Spring focused on ways to gather
history.  An outcome of that class is a 30 minute documentary titled "Constant
Motion" in which ten former Clerks tell their story of working as RPO Clerks.
I believe this documentary has only appeared on the PBS station associated with
EIU and a couple of other Midwest PBS television stations.  The documentary is
very well done.  Fun to hear the stories of these men who worked as Clerks.
Cindy tells me that a dvd of the documentary is available for sale from the EIU
PBS station, but that it presently is not listed for an unknown reason.

The IRM RPO days will allow guest of the Museum to speak with the former Clerks
up in the RPO.  Each time the diesel train runs, two mail catches will be made.
 Also, a special cancellation has been created for this event.  Like last year,
the USPS will be on site to cancel envelopes with this special cancellation.
IRM will have a commemorative cachet available at the event for purchase - the
proceeds of which will be used to preserve CBQ 1923.

The Passenger Car Department of IRM deserves a thank you from all for making
this car (CBQ 1923) available to perform catches.  Mark Gellman, a member at
IRM, has done much to make both the interior and exterior of the car.  Again,
we all need to thank IRM and its members for making this CBQ 1923 living
history for all to see.

Here are a couple of links to catches made at IRM last year that are on youtube
(search on irm rpo).
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90qAkvQqjUE>
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59uBibDVn6k>

Hopefully, we will see many individuals attend this event to see how mail was
transported by rail over 40 years ago.
Jon Habegger

(please excuse the cross posting of this notice)

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com