Re: [CBQ] Q wreck Old Monroe

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Q wreck Old Monroe
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:43:43 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1269571442; bh=ZYreZz6lbFzqmd4e4naWgX+GiHnO9eG2YSvQiJgc9iE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=eyDO9z1EaG/fh3X7+7HVO1UYqBGwW/J6yAfcDbLUWgB+mf2k+xRMjGNJhtfEVplvPU30wRJ70SLCFISDnr6Pq6adzfa6sepAg9KX5JRwGqNjcQAT/9ZPhp41czeOa+hr
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

RE the Old Monroe "rear ender"...Over the years I've spent more time than I
should have looking at the ICC Investigations reports and have become fairly
famiiar with them, especially those involving our favorite rr.  I must confess,
however, that,after looking this one up, apparently it's one I had forgotten
about or never hit on before...

I, being one of those guys "living in the past" have become quite familiar with
the tales of Harry Bedwell, E.S. Dellinger, John Johns etc in the old RAILROAD
MAGAZINE, have found that some of the old ICC reports make almost as good
reading as those stories.

In the instant case that head end crew on the  following train was presented
with conditons which today we would call "a perfect storm"...Those conditions
were a "false clear" (which theoretically can't happen) within yard limits.
Under Rule 93 which is explained in the report second class and extra trains
can occupy the main track within yard limits without flag protection required
under Rule 99.  Those trains within yard limits need only protect agains first
class trains.  Second class and extra trains moving within yard limits most
proceed at "restricted speed" defined as a speed which will permit stopping
"short of train, engine or other obstruction or swith not properly lined".

Another rule provides that Rule 93 does not permit second class or extra trains
moving within yard limits to rely on signal indication to determine that the
the track ahead is not obstructed....Of course, over the years even through my
time in the operating end of things the common practice was to indeed rely on
signal indication to determine conditions ahead in yard limits.   The way the
rule was written the crew who did the hitting had no legitimate
alibi...obviously if hit somebody or some  thing ....ipso-facto he was not
moving at restricted speed.

The ICC criticized the Q officials...as they always did in cases like
this...for allowing the practice of relying on signal indication in yard limits
to continue with the tacit approval of management.

Archie...you indicated...IIRC that you had some photos and perhaps further info
on this matter...Do you have any idea what kind of discipline that head end
crew received as a result of that fracas.

Any of you guys interested in knowing more about railroad operation in the days
of Timetable and Train Orders spend some time going back and reading some of
the old reports...The files go back to 1911.  Not every accident that happened
on every US railroad is there, but there is some good stuff...depending on your
definition of "good stuff".

Pete