Re: [CBQ] Mississippi River Flood of 1965 - 45th Anniversary

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Mississippi River Flood of 1965 - 45th Anniversary
From: Ted Schnepf <railsunl@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 22:03:56 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1268107458; bh=//vmkTGfrpuv7g8E0ZlCdSsRivuvK4zRWwlwEVO6NQU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=G/3s3UGY7lz9bSeZA+kypVBaOaNRCgGvpFsFGGJhomUgKLi7Nzi6wMMOy653SV5HYtzfDE+JapysO4JNiAascEFS4+sIkHsChvUIpeomlcfNjr3aGY8P2lFs7oYmn/Fc
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Matt and list,

After the CBQ lost their side of the river, they detoured over the
Milwaukee from St Paul to LaCrosse for a couple weeks and then the
Milwaukee's track also flooded. Then both the Milw and Q moved over
to the CNW (Omaha) out of St Paul and then when that line flooded all
three railroads went to running over the Soo Line to Junction City
Wis. and then down the Milwaukee to New Lisbon and over to Milwaukee
coming into CUS on the north side.  On the Soo each railroad was
allowed one passenger train each direction per day.  I believe the Q
detoured its St Paul trains for a couple months that Spring.

Q freight traffic went via Sioux City and across the southern Iowa
mainline, until that route was also blocked.

The 1965 flood had some very interesting detours.

Ted

At 09:52 AM 3/6/2010, you wrote:
>This April it has been 45 years since the 1965 floods knocked out
>the Q at Winona. Once of the images posed at the NOAA website is a
>aerial shot of the junction showing the breach there.
>

>http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/arx/flood1965/winonarailroad.png
>
>------------------
>Matt Carlson

Rails Unlimited
Ted Schnepf
railsunl@sbcglobal.net
847-697-5353 or 5366
126 Will Scarlet
Elgin, Ill. 60120
http://RailsUnlimited.ribbonrail.com/

Model Railroad Sales and Service with
a personal touch.
Books new and used.  HO and O scales.
DCC supplies. O scale urethane cars.
Photos and darkroom services.
Checks, cash (0%) or credit (secure server at web site 4% added).

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com