[CBQ] Savanna Yard

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Savanna Yard
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 07:48:03 EST
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1266842953; bh=pAG4whe686j5ZxuMFYU2BfWkb2AuBjFvZ+CyGzIJvj0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-AOL-ORIG-IP:X-AOL-IP:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=oUJZZUHdukySAwx/Tw785MIR7UwyrwuwBMIJ48k36dl0RMFA6LZG8iO0ZUYzBBIHEH+m/0bGJrPSAKkWJuCKHU7tjyp3q/Nve6P2RbTl3+e4dWzC1S8L6iuIafQopb2k
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jeff,

The Milw line you reference was their line over to Ayers where  it joined
the Peavine(Savanna-Galesburg) and onward. Not sure how the lines was
protected pre CTC but after there were searchlight signals on the main and pots

on the yard leads. There is a great new book on the Peavine with great maps
of  Savanna. Search the archives as its been discussed on this list.

Based on my memory in the early BN days of the early 70s  Savanna had 3
shifts with one engine and days had 2. Switching was done on the  east
end(south) of the yard. I dont think I ever saw a place more ideally laid  out
for
flat switching. All they really needed was the slack and cars would  gently
roll into the tracks.With the long leads and gentle slope the crews could
run through cuts of cars very rapidly.

Most work involved breaking up the inbound locals and  secondary trains
into the outbounds.
One example would be the large numbers of "west" cars from
Rochelle(Carnation and Del Monte) that came in on #181 and then #353 in the
early morning.
These would go out on the secondary train to Galesburg that  afternoon.

I've previously told  how in the days of assigned waycars  that operation
was handled at Savanna. With crews going in 3 directions; it must  have kept
an engine somewhat busy doing waycar swaps.

Leo

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com