[CBQ] Re: 2010 Calendar: Photographer's Name

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: 2010 Calendar: Photographer's Name
From: "cbq_bill" <cbq_bill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 05:08:22 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1265260112; bh=1jqh37pGeK6OtjUWCMTS7INKp7YgZG53UbmrL2ODgl8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=YLK/Vq1LCybrx5zmT3hv1/8fg2wPrspaxoeg85WfNwI5bniv2dqVsSzn0aZzmfTNRR3Z9cDq9+Lx6cdgI4L3ciIHtdsYKy1Uhqgd8pBVU9ASkyJhzGQdHAv+KmB5odIh
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Yes, this is a great BRHS calendar.  On the back, the young photographer in the
black & white photo looks to me like John Szwajkart.  He has published books
(Trainwatcher's Guides to Chicago, St. Louis, & Kansas City) and many railroad
videos & DVDs.  He attenda various RR shows with his extensive collection of
VHS & DVD RR films.  I sometimes see him listed in the credits of various
railfan books as a contributor, like SPV's Rail Atlas for Illinois.  His home
page is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~szwajkart/index.html

I have a couple of great videos of his.

The "CB&Q Collection C5" is about an hour long and contains CB&Q steam from the
1950's through the steam fan trip era in the 1960's.  Ther is also some footage
of diesels in the late 1960's and early BN era.  CB&Q's 4-8-4, 2-10-4, 4-6-4,
2-8-2, and some switchers are featured at Galesburg, Savanah, Ottawa, Serena,
Wedron, Denrock,  suburban territory, & othe places. There is no narration and
the DVD is silent (filmed in 8mm with out sound).  It is in color.  It would be
great if John would present this film at a BRHS meet and tell us his memories
of these trips.  It is so fantastic that John and other film photographers
captured the Q for those of us too young (and/or too far away) to have
witnessed it firsthand.

The second one is "BR 9911 Runs on the BN Main Line".  This color film has
sound and some narration.  It follows the CB&Q 9911 Silver Pilot and Nebraska
Zephyr from West Chicago along the Aurora branch to Aurora, and then on to
Galesburg.  I think it was filmed sometime in the 1990's.

He may also have the following films available:  "CB&Q E9 North to Canada",
"Rush Hour on the BN", and "Train Watching in Kansas City". I do not have these
myself and therefore can not provide any review.

If John Szwajkart is the author, I wonder if they held off on the calendars
publication to verify the spelling of his last name, but then some how
overlooked inserting the last name.  Whoever the photographer is, thank you
very much for sharing your photos with BRHS and thanks to all of the BRHS
members involved with the publication and mailing of the calendar.

FYI:  I am not a dealor, vendor, or in any way involved with John Szwajkart's
railfan video business (other than as an occasional customer).

Bill H

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com