[CBQ] Re:Naperville crash

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Naperville crash
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:43:51 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1264347858; bh=SWxFFmeihpGTtXFC+X8gYomrY/9vXlKAMsjF2Os+X/w=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=LrMIDtlbHZET7YXTzcRZYl7nnNdhCcyMZlf6tyHpMAfRySHqR2zM3R4WYUrU7xwD0kKzJH4yfoXTOL/nlByL5473E1prkNoSQiMYI8dYcZWgw0Qw/9mTQ6SWEV6zeQCy
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert,

The BRHS website Passenger Equipment roster shows the Round Up as the
property of Northern Central Railway in New Freedom, PA. and it is
listed as operable.

As for the horn, the only signaling that should have a occurred was
the engineer whistling out his flag which would have sent the rear
brakeman out from the rear of the train the prescribed distance ( I
don't recall what the regulations required, but it should have been
sufficient for any following train to stop.). As I recall, he either
didn't have time to make it back that far or he chose not to do so.
It is also my recollection that the Advanced Flyer had been stopped
for several minutes before the crash occurred. The engineer of the
Advanced Flyer probably never saw or heard the second train
approaching until the impact occurred.

BTW, there is a detailed Interstate Commerce Commission report of the
accident available on line.

During my early years at Electro-Motive, I knew several employees
that were sent out to the wreck to assist wherever possible. When
they arrived at the wreck site, the engines were still idling on the
Exposition Flyer's E-5s. They shut them down. La grange is about 15
miles from Naperville.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com